Allied Airmen Buried in Denmark
When ever I travel across Denmark my husband and I check on our app airmen.dk if we are near by any of their graves. Many of the graves are held by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and you can see the characteristic Head Stones like in the war cemeteries in Normandy France. Some were made very quickly after the accidents and were cared for beautifully by the local people at the churches spread over the country.
- 300 allied planes were shut down over Denmark
- 1160 are buried in Danish soil
- 80 are buried in other countries
- 500 have disappeared
- 100 got help from local people to cross over to neutral Sweden
- a lot were taken as POW by the German oppressors. (source Airmen.dk)
A few weeks ago we visited Bispebjerg Cemetery and area in Copenhagen where I was born.
I have described this important R.A.F. attack in another post.
We are forever thankful for the sacrifices of these brave young men.